- Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center of Touro College, (J.D., summa cum laude)
- Rutgers College (B.A. Economics)
- Practice Areas
- JOHN COONEY SELECTED BY NATIONAL LAW JOURNAL AS A “CYBERSECURITY & DATA PRIVACY TRAILBLAZER”
- Financial Services Industry in New York is About to be Pounded by Proposed New Cybersecurity Regulations
- Addressing a Health Care Organization’s Cyber Risks Begins at the Top
- Cybersecurity bill nudges data sharing between biz, feds
- The HIPAA Security Rule: Your Best Defense Against Cybersecurity Liabilities
- Dec-2012 Is Your Web-Based Agreement Enforceable?
- Jan-12 Do You Know Who Owns Your Company’s Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) Accounts
- Hitler’s Courts: Betrayal of the Rule of Law in Nazi Germany
- The Coming Wave of Health Care Fraud and Abuse Prosecutions
John J. Cooney is a partner at Ruskin Moscou Faltischek P.C. where he is chair of the firm’s Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Practice Group, and a member of the firm’s Health Law Department, and the White Collar Crime and Investigations Practice Group.
John has successfully represented clients in a wide variety of sophisticated criminal and civil cases involving federal and state authorities, including matters involving breach investigations, responses and regulatory defense. In addition, he has successfully protected the interests of healthcare professionals and corporations in federal asset forfeiture, sentencing proceedings and professional disciplinary proceedings, including OPMC and OPD. John has also served as law clerk to the Honorable Joseph F. Bianco in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York.
He came to Ruskin Moscou Faltischek P.C. with over 15 years of management and leadership experience at various Fortune 200 companies. He is a former U.S. Marine Corps officer and combat veteran of the Persian Gulf War. After serving his country, he was trained as a software engineer at Columbia University, and his technical background proves particularly useful in the cybersecurity and data privacy arena as well as in complex fraud investigations and litigation, including healthcare fraud, OIG fraud, OMIG fraud, Medicare fraud, and RAC and health plan billing audits, which have increasingly involved information technologies and analytics.
He received his Juris Doctor at Touro Law School, where he was class valedictorian. He was a Nassau County Bar Association Moot Court Champion and received numerous awards for academic excellence. In August 2010, he was named an adjunct professor at Touro Law School. In that capacity, he teaches a weekly legal writing and analysis class for law students.
Besides his professional accomplishments, John dedicates a substantial amount of time to serving the Long Island community. He is currently the commander of the Northport American Legion Post 694, which actively supports Long Island’s youth, veterans, and those in need. In addition, for over a decade, he has led the effort to supply combat gear to Long Island’s brave men and women serving overseas and to assist their families at home. His efforts have been recognized and commended by Long Island leaders and he most recently received the 2014 Social Work Community Recognition Award from the Northport VA Medical Center.
Presentations and Publications
- “Data Security for the Healthcare Industry,” RMF and HUB International, June 2015.
- “Providing an integrated Suite of Cybersecurity Services,” LIBN Interview: Ruskin Moscou Faltischek P.C., June 2015.
- “The HIPAA Security Rule: Your Best Defense Against Cybersecurity Liabilities,” Nassau Lawyer, June 2015.
- “Exploring Critical Issues: Data Breaches and Privacy,” Telecare TV, May 2015.
- “Data Breaches: A Survival Guide,” Long Island Association, April 2015.
- “Cybersecurity: A Legal and Technical Review,” Long Island CFO Roundtable, April 2015.
Back to Directory